Support the Department
Our goal is to help you identify the areas within the department which have the most meaning and importance to you. There are many philanthropic opportunities to support each of our three missions and we encourage you to explore our website to learn more about how your gift will help make a difference in the work we are doing.
Gifts may be made in several forms, including:
- Cash: Cash gifts provide immediate benefits to the institution. The actual cost to the donor may be reduced by tax savings achieved through a charitable contribution deduction.
- Pledges: the department accepts pledges payable over multiple years. Pledges may be paid in equal or varying amounts, according to the donor’s wishes or convenience.
- Appreciated Marketable Securities: Giving appreciated securities (stocks) may have special tax advantages. Within limitations, the donor may avoid the capital gains tax and be eligible for a charitable deduction for the full market value of such securities at the time of the gift. Contributions in excess of the limitations may be eligible for carryover to future tax years.
- Real Estate and Personal Property: Gifts of real estate and other personal property generally have the advantages described for gifts of securities, provided the property is a long-term capital asset in the hands of the donor. The donor’s qualified appraiser must determine fair market value for income tax purposes.
- Bequests: We are especially grateful to the many generous friends who have made gifts through their wills or estate plans.
- Planned Gifts: Planned giving allows the donor to make a gift and enjoy the benefits of federal and state tax provisions. This favorable tax treatment may offer you ways to make more significant gifts than you might have otherwise thought possible. With careful planning, it is possible to reduce or eliminate income taxes, capital gain taxes, and other “transfer” taxes such as estate taxes, gift taxes, and generation-skipping taxes. Through some gift options, you can enjoy these tax savings while converting appreciated assets into an income for yourself or others.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss your interest in making a donation to the department or a clinical subspecialty division, please get in touch with Dr. Robert Salata at (216) 844-3293.